Thursday, April 28, 2011

Julie and Roger's Grattis på födelsedagen 2011!

Roger and I celebrated our birthday's recently, and to help us celebrate, we had some visitors!  Not only did we have Hans and Dianne join us for their annual April Fort Mac Pilgrimage, but Rina and Lance decided to join them as well.

Roger made birthday pannkakor of course:



And gave an impromptu seminar on different cuts of beef to a very attentive Rina.


He also grilled up some ahi tuna steaks, and Rina made a delicious melted camembert with brown sugar and almonds.











She also tried to turn my spanakopita into samosas!


Hans and Dianne wisely stayed out of the kitchen:



 You may have noticed that we had our scary moons hanging by our window which means only one thing... Robyn came for supper.  I think she enjoyed herself even if she looks confused and frustrated with Roger's puzzle.


After supper we waited in excited anticipation for.....


for......

THIS!!


DQ Ice cream cake!!!  This year, Roger ordered something a little different.  This is a DQ BLIZZARD ice cream cake.  A DQ strawberry CHEESEQUAKE blizzard cake to be specific.  Those things that look like croutons on top are actually little cubes of cheesecake covered in graham cracker crumbs.  We finished that cake in lightning quick time with some help from Dean and Dolph as well.

We continued the birthday celebration the next day with a visit to the Burger Bar in Anzac



And a game of Mexican Train





And, to top it all off, Roger gave me these:


Are you as confused as I was??  Can you guess what they are??  Here's a second hint:


Still scratching your head?

Here's a third hint:


Still no guesses??


Harmonicas!! ??  Yup, harmonicas.  He even got more than one so that we could play together.  What a thoughtful husband.  And soooo full of surprises.  
 Did I ask for a harmonica?  Nooooo.  
Did I want a harmonica?  Nooooo. 
Did I laugh for 10 minutes after I opened the harmonica?  Sure did!  
He keeps me on my toes that one.

A few days later, we celebrated Roger's birthday.  Unfortunately, his birthday fell on one of my 12 hour work days, so we had a little celebration on his birthday with the promise of a bigger celebration to come.  His day started with this:


and this..


and this birthday breakfast:


Yes, I do realize if you take away the sparkler and flowers, it's really just a measly bowl of oatmeal and a blueberry muffin.  Like I said, I was getting ready for 12 hours of work.

His TRUE birthday meal involved a menu requested specifically by him.  He asked for smörgåstårta and lemon meringue pie.  

Smörgåstårta is literally a sandwich cake.  I still think it's an odd concept but Roger seems to like it.  I seem to be warming to the taste, but I still think it's a bizarre combination of ingredients.

First, I made some rye bread in our breadmaker which turned out pretty nice:


Then I made the fillings.  The recipe I have is from Mama G, and she makes 2 basic fillings.  The first is liver pate mixed with half and half cream and hotdog relish


The second is whipped cream mixed with mayonnaise, ham, pineapple, apples and a bit of seasoning.


Once the fillings are made, you can start assembling the cake.. err... the sandwich... err.  the sandwich cake.


  
Once the layers are done, you "ice" the cake/sandwich with creme fraiche.  Since Mama G hasn't been able to find creme fraiche in Canada, she's mixed a combination of things that come close--mayonnaise, cream cheese and sour cream.


And once it's iced, you can decorate!  

Voila!



No comments: