Saturday, June 11, 2011

Dune

Finally, after months of Roger pestering me to read one of his favourite novels of all time, I've done it!  I've read Dune from cover to cover.  I must admit, I resisted reading Dune for a long time simply because it was "Science Fiction" (...and had a boring cover...).  But Roger was persistent.  He told me that Dune had just as much and likely more scheming and back-stabbing AND double crossing as any of my favourite soap-opera-ey shows on television.  So... I decided to give it a read with one condition.  Roger had to read one of my favourite books ever. 

 I was determined to not enjoy Dune--at first I read it grudgingly--one page a week--then those darn Harkonnen's had to attack and despite my best efforts, I liked it.  I REALLY liked it.  A page a week became a chapter a week, and before I knew it I was done.  I figured that would be it, but I had so many unanswered questions from the first book that Roger went and grabbed the second book in the series which I've already completed and am now well into the third book while Roger is on page 32 of my one favourite book.  When I ask him how he likes it he says "..it's not baaaaaddddd..."


Chives from our garden.

No comments: